Thursday, July 29, 2010

Need Advice From A Lawyer: What to do if your spouse [partner] prevents you from getting a job?

Ok, first we are not married, and we live in an apartment. With his job alone we can't [not even] barely make it, so he thinks a second job and going to college will improve things for us. I think 2 jobs and college is unrealistic and he will get very much stressed and take it on me (yes, we have a terrible argumentative life as it is). He is dealing with much stress. Meanwhile I can't mention I want to get a job because he is against it and says that I will be unfaithful to him at work.





Meanwhile all I want is to be able to afford to buy myself the things I want, and to fend for myself. I don't want to break up (just in case you're thinking I should leave). Is there any law that will protect me to avoid him using that as an excuse to break up with me?





I don't want to leave him because we have a baby together. ThanksNeed Advice From A Lawyer: What to do if your spouse [partner] prevents you from getting a job?
Are you from this planet??? You are talking about a man who obviously has the predisposition of being physically abusive if he hasn't been already. Who cares if you have a baby. When I had just entered my 3rd month of pregnancy my son's father raised his hand to me in a drunken stupor. He never had the opportunity to strike me because I lunged at him ready to kill him! Waking me up to tell me how he is the man of the house, blah blah blah. WHATEVER. Last I heard is he had a heart attack and the worms were feasting on him. GOOD. Is it true? Who knows. Do I care? NO. He too controlled me. I lost touch with my family and some how or another I lost touch with my friends. He made sure to keep me away from everyone with excuses. Last straw was he raised his hand to me. My son is four years old now and I haven't seen that SOB since the day after that incident (New Years Day 2003.) Get the heck away from that man for the sake of the baby. Gosh women like you need serious pyschological help and if that doesn't work a total lobotomy. I had my son by myself and a man like that he doesn't need in his life. By the sound of it you are setting yourself up for some serious beat downs if you haven't received them already and a horrible life for your child. Oh for the record. Those types of men have been known to kill the woman and child(ren.) Wake up!Need Advice From A Lawyer: What to do if your spouse [partner] prevents you from getting a job?
I sincerely with all my heart wish you the best. But please if he continues with that controlling attitude you really need to re-evaluate your relationship and consider moving on.

Report Abuse



Not sure where you are...


but, understnd you do NOT need a lawyer, since your partner is not preventing you from getting a job.


You are making your own choice to live there, and you are making your choice to go along with what he is telling you. There is no law to keep him from breaking up with you, for that or any other reason.


There is NO law in this country (US) that is relevant to what you are saying.


You are making all your own choices. Lawyers are for legal matters... not two persons who cannot come to an agreement.
ummmmmmm............





this is really confusing. the only person who can stop you from getting a job is yourself. why would you want a law to keep him from breaking up with you??? thats just odd in my opinion. if you want a job go get one if he breaks up with you because of it than kiss the ground you walk on and thank God that you aren't married with 5 kids. why aren't you married anyhow with a child. the military will put you in houseing and give you more money. anyway this is just an odd question.
He is controlling and it is time for you to go before it gets worse. He won't let you work. Next he will tell you that you can't see your friends or family.





Time to run Sweetie.....................
You don't want to hear this, but remember that you did hear it here:





This is the classic control situation that leads to physical abuse and worse.





What a piece of work!





My suggestin to you is to at least call the local womens shelter, read them your message, and mine and see what advice they have.





As for a lawyer, forget it, the only thing that is keeping you from getting a job is you. You stay willingly and submit to it, but nothing is making you do it. there is help available, but a lawyer is not what you need until he starts beating the crap out of you.





Good luck!
A law that will protect you from him avoiding him using you as an excuse to break up? Is that your question. Short answer, there is no such law.





You are not legally obligated to him in any manner shape or form at the current moment. You may at some point be legally tied to him and to you through your child in common but that would be about it...unless you marry him....and I would strongly advise against that.





The other advise that you have received so far is advise that you should really follow.





Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment