Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Does new spouse have visitation rights?

My ex has ample visitiation with our children and i have done everything in my power to facilitate this (including driving the kids there due to him losing his licence for dui). On days when he is working long hours and won't be there for his visits, I have allowed his mom (paternal grandma) to have the visits instead. Now, however, he wants me to drop the kids off with his new wife (who I've known since grade 7 and frankly don't like). My question is this ... do I have an obligation to do so (espcially if they don't want to) Or should I be the better person and force my kids to go? I am in Ontario, Canada and would appreciate local answers.Does new spouse have visitation rights?
Visitation would not extend to the new wife by American divorce court, unless the family court orders it. It doesn't even extend to Grandma unless that's in the divorce decree.





Your best bet would be contact your divorce attorney and ask him or her if you are obligated, I'm betting it's a no. Then simply tell the ex that's not going to happen, you don't want it, kids don't want it, court says you don't have to, and let him sort it out on his end. You don't have to be a pushover on this.





Sorry not a Canadian answer but willing to bet it's the same.Does new spouse have visitation rights?
I do not know Canadian law, but I doubt seriously your husband has visitation rights that require you take the children to someone else. Contacxt your divorce lawyer or the judge.
Don't know about Canada, but here your ex husband would be responsible for picking up your children, my ex husband also got a DUI and his visitation agreement stated, HE must provide a licensed driver to pick up his son, his ex wife never picked him up and dropped him off, let the new wife do the driving.
You already know what is best for the kids. If the dad and especially the new wife (whom you know already), have no desire and are unwilling to see the kids as a joint effort, then I wouldn't force it. I would insist that the father come to your space or meet him in a mutually acceptable place. His mom's place sounds excellent. You just don't want for him or for you to feel uncomfortable. At all costs, the children must feel happy and be at ease. Never say anything around them that will make them feel that they are the cause of the contention between you and their father. Then your efforts will be for success. Read Psalm 35 to (Plead My Cause) and do it daily for it is so invaluable. Then read Psalm 4 for (Safety and Protection) and have God's safety net encompass you and your loved ones. ';The Lord daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation.'; - Psalm 68:19. Remember this, ';If God be for us, who can be against us?'; - Romans 8:31. I wish you well. Peace and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment