Sunday, August 22, 2010

Would you get a tattoo if your spouse didn't like them?

I want to get a tattoo but my spouse doesn't like them. I've had piercings in the past, and though nothing was said about those, when I bring up getting more, (I had to take them out for an MRI and just never put them back in) my spouse thinks I've outgrown them. There isn't anything meaningful I want to get tattooed, I just want to do it for fun. I'm 25, have I outgrown this? And is it worth causing trouble with my spouse?Would you get a tattoo if your spouse didn't like them?
I don't think it's worth causing conflict with your spouse. I personally think that eventually everyone out-grows tattoos. They shrivle up, or you end up not liking it later on.Would you get a tattoo if your spouse didn't like them?
I would tell them it is my body so therefore it is my choice. But i think you should think about what you would really really want tattooed on you because as you know they are permanent So really think about what you want and go for it :)
Probably not. A tattoo would never be THAT important to me but my spouse's comfort certainly would be. If a tattoo is highly important to you, then do it. This is, of course, the logic my mother used when trying to get me to turn down my stereo as a teenager... ';Is listening to loud music more important to you than the comfort of your younger sisters, or your elderly neighbors? If it is, then by all means, turn up the stereo.';
i wouldnt do it.


out of respect.


BUT...if u guys split...let it be the 1st thing u do!
I would and did...





I've always had the attitude that they have to look at your skin, but you have to live in it.





As for whether or not it's worth the potential trouble...only you can answer that.
If you're just getting a tattoo for the fun of it you should probably just wait it out just to avoid the drama because if you get it and then a few years down the line you don't like it, you'll end up getting the I told ya so speech. But if it's something that truly means something special to you then go for it because this way in the end there will be no regrets....and who knows, maybe he'll grow to love it as much as you do. Good Luck!!
first off it's your body. piercings, i think people outgrow( like navel piercings, are generally only seen on very young teenagers; tongue piercings, mostly seen on college aged people; piercings you can't see, well if you can't see them, who's to judge) But tattoos?!?! Come on, you want them, get them. I'm 23 andI have 5 and I'm not even close to being done and my boyfriend loves tattoos. If he doens't like them and you get one does that mean he won't like you? If he loves you, he'll love you for you and respect your own desire to what you want to your own body.
no and its not worth causing trouble either
It's your body - do with it what you like. As long as you're not hurting anyone, you should be able to express yourself without being made to feel silly or guilty. Personally, I don't like tattoos but I would never judge anyone who has them and I certainly wouldn't cause ';trouble'; for anyone who wanted to get one. It's their body - not mine. GO FOR IT!!!
No, at 25 you have definitely not outgrown them!!!! My Uncle just got his first one at 41 lol!


I would take into consideration they're opinion of why he/she doesn't want you to get them done, but ultimately, it's your decision. It's your body. If it's something that you REALLY want, do it. If your spouse truly loves you, than he/she will accept it, even it they are a little ticked/upset at first. They should respect that you are old enough to make your own decisions, and you are your own person still.
I think that though you are married, it is still your body and your right to get a piercing or a tattoo.





If he gets pissed or leaves you over something that trivial, it would say a lot about him. I think he's over exaggerating this because I've known people with his mindset. Once they saw the piercing or tattoo, they lightened up about it and realized its really NO big deal at all. Plus, with piercings, they can come and go easily so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Tattoos can be kept discrete and tasteful and I don't see it causing issues.





I say go for it, but that's just what I'd do in your shoes.
Honestly, there is a fun, playful age for those things, then the age where it becomes trashy and too much. If you want one, but your spouse has a problem with it, you should try Henna tattoos. They don't last as long, but they are still fun:)
I just got another tattoo about a month ago. My husband told me if I did he would leave me. I still have a husband. My feeling is it is my body and if I wnt to get one it is up to me. Just make sure when you get it you get one that is nice to look at. You could even get it where only you and your husband could see it. Make it something for both of you. Something that would have a nice meaning to you both. My latest was a picture of my dog. It was just her face and I had it done on my calf. It looks great. I also have a rose on my left breast.
well at first when my fiance was talking about getting this tat, i had no prob with it but then he showed me how big it was going to be and the fact that it covered almost more than half his back (upper) and i really wasnt into the whole idea.....but his mind was set and he is a very stubborn person, he told me that i wasnt going to change his mind about what he wanted to do but he did wish that i supported him and his decision. i, of course, went with him each time to get his tat worked on and it turned out great, i have come to love it and accept it, its great. well we have been in a long distance relationship for a couple months now and i had been talking about getting wings on my back even before he left, he didnt want me to get them with out him but i went and did it bc i am going to do what i want to my body when i want to. now i do wish he would have been there for me, lik i was for him, but i just couldnt wait, and the opportunity presented itself at the time, he is no longer upset that i didnt wait but he is very anxious to see them next month! if its something that he is absolutely against, then its not worth causing probs in your relationship, but if hes just against it bc he thinks you will grow out of it, then you do what you feel you want to.
Hmmmm. Tricky.





I have tattoos. I haven't got a husband. However, I did nearly have one, at one point, and lived with him for four years. He wasn't all that keen on my tattoos that I had at the time, and though I was interested in getting more I knew he wasn't keen, so I didn't. He eventually dumped me anyway for no particular reason.





So, on the one hand, I can see your problem, and why you wouldn't want to get a tattoo if s/he has a problem with them; I basically did much the same thing.





On the other hand, my perspective now (a couple more tattoos later) is that it's my body, I'll do what I like with it, and anyone who objects clearly doesn't know me all that well, and nor should they really get to have a say in what I do with my skin. There's no way, in any future relationship, that I'll let myself be dictated to in that way again.





Maybe that's not particularly helpful, throwing both those thoughts at you. What I would also say, though, is that if you aren't really set on any one thing and are just after 'fun', then maybe you could work up to a permanent tattoo by way of temporary body art like henna or airbrushing. This would give you an opportunity to experiment, and your spouse a chance to get used to the idea over time, and perhaps overcome his/her concerns.





Hope this helps!
i don't think it is possible to ';outgrow'; tattoos. some people mature and no longer like them but most people who get them for the right reasons love them forever. i had tattoos when i met my husband so i can't really put myself in your position but if i said i wanted a tattoo somewhere and he didn't want me to get it then i would be sad but i wouldn't go against what he wanted. but he does like my tattoos and so far hasn't objected to any of the tattoos i have wanted. also, my husband is 29 and got his first two tattoos this past year so 25 is definitely not too old to start getting tattoos.


BUT if you don't want to get a tattoo for a particular reason you may end up not liking it in a few years. the ones that don't have meaning are usually the ones that are regretted. i hope you are able to come to a good decision with your husband.
yup. tough sh*t. it's not his body. luckily, my husband doesn't mind that i want more tattoos.





and to the holy roller, miss p, do you obey the bible in everything you do? no cursing, no bad mouthing anyone? why are you even on this site if you are so against tats? curious, aren't we?
A question:





Does he mind if you change your hair color, change your clothing style, completely bail on the idea of makeup (or go wild if you prefer)? Yes, a tattoo is permanent, but these changes are more visible.





A relationship is a compromise, and we sometimes pass on what we'd like to do - and do things we wouldn't normally. If he returns the favor, then I'd say this may fit under such as you mention it isn't a big deal. But, if he's not willing to give up/do something for you, well...





It's a two-way street, or at least should be.
It'd def not worth the conflict but if you really want a tattoo, id say go for it and get one it is your body after all, just compromise with him possibly on a well hidden spot, tiny design, etc..





My boyfriend doesn't like tattoos either and his opinion matters a great deal to me but i still have 5 and planning to get more.





Funny thing is he likes my latest cause its a cluster of flowers with 2 interlocking hearts which represents our love for one another.





Guys are weird, one minute they don't like something and then all of sudden if it has some meaning behind it they think its cool.





Good Luck
My boyfriend hates tattoos.....when he met me I had 2 and I just recently got another one.....he knew I liked them when he met me so if he doesn't like it oh well for him.
I wouldn't ever get a tattoo. You're not supposed to put any markings on your body is what the Holy Bible says. This means tattoos. I don't know if you are a Christian, but I am. I try to do what the Bible says. It's up to you as to what to do, though.
I side with your spouse on this one---I think they are tacky, and look awful after a certain age.

No comments:

Post a Comment